Westside

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Nu kan du välja språk i Westside - engelska/svenska!

Author Topic: Looking for Norrgård & Hagström relatives from Malax  (Read 6461 times)

Hagstrom, C.

• Ny
Looking for Norrgård & Hagström relatives from Malax
« on: September 07, 2008, 08:34:36 pm »

Hej :

My name is Christopher Hagstrom from New Britain PA, USA. I am looking for information about the origins of my great-grandparents. I have received some very generous help from Håkan Genberg & Leo Hallbäck already. They have suggested I post a query here. I have also posted on Finlander Forum.

My great-gfthr was Otto Wilhelm Hagström.I do not know his exact birthdate or place, but he died at age 52 yrs,9 mos, 9 days on 15 Jan 1917 in Camden NJ. His calculated birthdate would then be about 6 Apr 1864.He may have been originally from Åland. He emigrated to US about 1893-4. He was a ship's carpenter(snickare?). His parents may have been named Christian & Sofia. Does anyone know anything of him or any connection to Österbotten?

My gr-grndmthr was Edla Sofia Norrgård, born 18 Feb 1865 i Malax & died 19 May 1906 in Camden NJ. She emigrated to US about 1893 from Vasa. Otto & Edla were married in Philadelphia PA USA on 23 Nov 1895. They had 6 children born in US between 1897-1906. Her father was Johan Gabrielsson Norrgård, a crofter (torpare?) from Norrgård farm no.39, Övermalax. He was b. 20 Jul 1842 i Malax, d. 28 Dec 1910 i Malax/begravd 6 Jan 1911. Does anyone know this family or if there are living relatives still in Malax? Or where Johan Gabrielsson's farm was located? Or where he is buried (begraved?)?

Edla's mother/ Johan's first wife was Beata Stina Nordman (b. 20 Jan 1840/d.13 Nov 1892). They had 9 children. Most died as children & may be buried somewhere near Malax. One sister of Edla, Hilda Lovisa, emigrated in 1902 & 1915 to US & died in Washington state 2 Feb 1968. Hilda was married to Alfred Isakss. Stolpe (b. 6 Nov 1881 i Malax/ d.6 Mar 1961 USA).

Johan's second wife was Anna Sofia Erikssd. Stolpe (b. 5 Aug 1852 i Malax). They married 6 Dec 1896 i Malax. No children known. Any info. most appreciated. Please be in touch through this forum anytime or private e-mail contact can be arranged, also.

Best regards,
Christopher Hagstrom
New Britain, PA USA

Westadmin

• Administrator
  • Flitig
Re: Looking for Norrgård & Hagström relatives from Malax
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:48:36 pm »

Hi!
Yes, Johan Gabrielsson Norrgård has now living descendants in Malax. I'll send you more information about them by mail tomorrow.
mvh.
Maggan Lindholm

Hagstrom, C.

• Ny
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:24:32 am »

Hej Miss Lindholm:

Tackar så mycket! Thanks for taking time to read my query & reply so quickly. I'm very excited to hear what you have for me and will look forward to your e-mail.

Mvh,
Christopher Hagstrom

Hagstrom, C.

• Ny
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 05:28:42 pm »

Hej:

Someone has just found for me ( on Ancestry.com) a copy of a passenger ship manifest on which is listed Alfred Mattlar, Johannes Nordman, and Hilda L. Norrgård  arriving to Philadelphia on 9 Jul 1902 from Liverpool on the SS Rhynland. The two men list their destination in US as going to their "cousin Otto Hagström" at the Philadelphia address where I know my gr-grandparents lived at that time. Hilda is listed as going to her "sister S. Hagström" at the same address.

I would like to inquire whether anyone has anything in their database which shows Otto being connected as a cousin to Mattlar or Nordman. I suspect that the connection is actually to Edla through the Norrgårds, but I thought it best to check to be sure. Perhaps the men just gave Otto's name as a cousin to help facilitate their entry into the US.

Also, does anyone think it possible that Otto may have come to the US through a sort of "back-door" port of entry? Such as Canada for example? Does anyone know of Finnish records for emigrants to Canada prior to 1900? The only US document that I have found so far which refers to Otto's date of immigration is on the 1900 US Fed. Census, Phila. PA which only lists his year of entry to US as 1894 & his time in residence as 6 years.

Any help most appreciated...thanks!

Mvh,
Christopher