Westside

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Nu kan du välja språk i Westside - engelska/svenska!

Author Topic: Isaac or Israel Haga f March 17 1861 and Erik Alfred Brann f jul 6 1879 of Malax  (Read 7912 times)

aligzanduh

• Ny

My Great Grandfather was Isaac Haga from overmalax. Born March 17 1861.

His Brother was Eric Alfred Brann, born 6 Jul 1879 died March 21 1967. Eric was the youngest of 12 many of whom ? emigrated to America.

My Grand Aunt Elsa visited malax as recently as the 1980's and knew a Vera Nordstrom her mother Stina Kis was a Haga.

I am looking for the list of brothers and sisters of Eric and Isaac. Isaac listed himself as Israel when he lived in Minnesota.

Can any of you folk in Malax see if there are births matching Erik Brann and Isaac/Israel Haga so I can find their list of brothers and sisters and their father and mother?

It appears there was a haga area and a brann area from my research which MIGHT explain why Erik and Isaac/Israel had different last names.

Isaac died in Montana in the 1920s.

Regards
Alexander Hagen (Haga? Brann?) I dont even know my own last name.

Isaac Haga married Johanna Kristina Boling (Bole) whos family includes Anders Henrik Boling and Anders Hanson Boling

SFogde

• Ny

Back in those days ordinary people usually adopted their last names from the homesteads they were living on. Haga (No 17) and Bränn (No 22) were two homesteads in Yttermalax, the other of the twin villages in Malax, the other being Övermalax. Yttermalax lies west of Övermalax and therefore also closer to the sea. Sorry I can't help you with the info on your relatives you wanted, my research is at the present in a passive stage.

By the way, my great grandfather Mathias (Matts) Fogde, who was born on April 7, 1865, in Övermalax, emigrated to the States in 1897, living for some tiime in or around Calumet, Michigan, and disappeared somewhere after 1900 leaving his wife and four children behind in Finland. This year I found a death certificate on a Matt Fogde, who died in Duluth in March 1914, and I am now convinced that this person actually was my great grandfather. The death certificate says that his last known place of residence was Brookston, west of Duluth. My objective is to find out what he did and where he lived between 1900 and 1914.
Best regards

Stig Fogde, Helsinki

Marisme

• Flitig

Hej Stig,

enligt www.ancestry.com fanns det i US 1910 Census en Matt Fogde född ca 1870 som bodde i Richmond, Virginia. Han bodde med hustru "Littie", 38 år och dotter Florence, 8 år.     

SFogde

• Ny

Tack! Har nog stött på den mannen förut och det var något som inte riktigt stämde, men det är säkert värt att ta reda på lite mer om honom i varje fall.

Henrik Mangs

• Gamyl
    • Henrik Mangs Hemsida

Here is the Family.

Haga, Israel Jonasson.
Snickare.
Born på Haga 3 JUL 1837 in Malax.
Died 24 JUN 1925.
Father     
Haga, Jonas Jonasson.
Born 3 NOV 1804 in Malax.
Died 30 DEC 1890 in Malax.
Mother     
Herrgård, Catharina Andersdotter.
Born 13 SEP 1804 in Malax.

Married 23 FEB 1862 in Malax to

Köping, Anna Lisa Jonasdotter.
Born 6 SEP 1839 in Malax.
Died 15 JAN 1921 in Malax.
Father:
Köping, Jonas Jonasson.
Born 29 DEC 1815 in Malax.
Mother:
Sperring, Anna Lisa Mattsdotter.
Born 2 DEC 1813 in Malax.

Child     
Haga, Israel Israelsson.
Born 17 MAR 1862 in Malax.
Died 6 JAN 1921 in Montana USA.
Married to Böling, Johanna Christina Anders-Henriksdotter.
Born 15 JUN 1866 in Böle Närpes (Närpes Kb 1860-66 p1/26).
Died 4 MAY 1939 in Great Falls Montana USA.

Haga, Johannes Israelsson.
Born 20 JUN 1863 in Malax.
Dödförklarad 1 JAN 1964.

Haga, Anna Sofia Israelsdotter.
Born på Haga 15 JAN 1865 in Malax.
Died 20 AUG 1922 in Malax.
Married 7 JUN 1891 in Malax to Mellberg (Bränn), Isak Jonasson.
Born på Bränn 15 AUG 1867 in Malax.
Died 10 DEC 1913 in Malax.

Haga, Jonas Israelsson.
Born 20 DEC 1866 in Malax.
Died 26 JUL 1928 in Skönsmon, Sverige.

Haga, Isak Israelsson.
Born 16 JAN 1869 in Malax.

Haga, Johanna Israelsdotter.
Born 30 DEC 1870 in Malax.
Died 10 JUL 1880 in Malax.

Haga, Stina Kajsa Israelsdotter.
Born på Haga 27 MAY 1872 in Malax.
Died 2 APR 1950 in Malax.
Married 23 MAY 1895 in Malax to Staf, Jonas Wilhelm Jonasson.
HB på Staf och kyrkvärd.
Born 6 MAR 1866 in Malax.
Died 1 NOV 1945 in Malax.

Haga, Wendla Israelsdotter.
Born 5 DEC 1873 in Malax.

Haga, Wilhelm Israelsson.
Born 1 FEB 1876 in Malax.
Dödförklarad 1 JAN 1979.
Married in Amerika to Smeds, Johanna Sofia Jonasdotter.
Born 30 SEP 1875 in Malax.
Dödförklarad 1 JAN 1979.

Haga, August Israelsson.
Born 12 OCT 1877 in Malax.
Died 26 AUG 1932 in Amerika.
Married 29 MAR 1900 in Malax to Masus, Sofia Jakobsdotter.
Born 3 JUL 1876 in Malax.

Brann (Haga), Erik Alfred Israelsson.
Sjöman.
Born 6 JUL 1879 in Malax.
Died 21 MAR 1967 in USA.
Gift i Amerika med en Voitby flicka från Korsholm.
  Har en flicka och en son i äktenskapet.
  Flickan Elsie Wulf gif med en från Amerika.
MVH
Henrik Mangs

Marisme

• Flitig

Hej igen Stig!

Det är födelseåret på Virginia-mannen som inte stämmer. Men det ska man inte bry sig om, de är ofta fel på tidiga Census. De kollade ju inte pass eller liknande när de gjorde folkräkningar, de frågade bara om ålder och räknade bakåt ifrån muntliga uppgifter. Man kan gott sätta +/-3 år på födelseåret.

SFogde

• Ny

Också året för emigrationen till Amerika skiljer sig åt; min farfars far var bonde (en av bönderna) på Holm hemman nr 2 i Norra Helsingby, Korsholm, innan han emigrerade till Amerika år 1896 med destination Chicago. Åren 1900-1901 vistades han sannolikt i eller i närheten av Calumet, Michigan, eftersom hans hans två yngre bröder Johannes och Wilhelm kom som anlände till USA via Quebec, Canada, uppgav att de var på väg till sin bror i Calumet.

H. Stig

Marisme

• Flitig

En Matti Fogde finns på 1900 Census. Han bodde i Keweenaw, Michigan. Han uppges vara född i augusti 1867, gift sig 1888, immigrerat till USA 1867. Ingen familj finns med honom, bara en William Fogde som var 29 år gammal år 1900.

Marisme

• Flitig

Förlåt, alltså immigrerat till USA 1897.

oholm

• Ny

Hello Alexander!

I just stumbled across this thread and was happy to see some information I was calling out for about a year ago in the old Westside forum, but to no avail. Hope you still stop by here to read this, Alexander.

Erik Bränn was married to Beata Matilda Forsman, who happened to be the older sister of my grandmother. She (Beata) was born July 27, 1884 in Malax, Finland at the Majors farm. (The family moved to Voitby, Korsholm in may 1900 and took the name Forsman after the new farm).
She emigrated to the US Aug 21st, 1903 (Ellis Island Records) and they had a daughter, Elsie Ingeborg Bränn, Aug 18th 1911 in California. I have no record of marriage date for Erik and Beata.
Beata died June 14, 1976 in San Francisco, California.

Also, I have no record of the son mentioned by Henrik. Elsie married James Forrest Van der Lüth, both later appear in SSDI (US Social Security Death Index) as "Vanderlieth". Not sure who is wrong here, me (ie. Finnish church records) or the SSDI...

From what my family has told me, Erik worked on the construction site of the Golden Gate Bridge (constructed between Jan 5th 1933 and April 28th 1937, and it was inaugurated midday May 28th 1937). For what period and in what capacity, I don't know. Probably manual labour.
Erik and Beata seems to have lived at 98 Anderson Street, San Francisco at least around March 3rd 1915, when Beatas sister Albertina gave that address as her final destination in the US to the immigrations officer at Ellis Island.

Some years later, Sept 11th 1923 at Ellis Island, a certain Ivar Bränn, born around 1903, is going to the final destination "uncle Erik Bränn in San Francisco". Closest relative is "brother August Bränn" in Malax, Finland. Ivar later marries Ester Forsman(another sister of my grandmother, Beata and Albertina, born March 11th 1896, emigrated 1922.
Unfortunately, I have no further data on Ivar. Maybe Henrik can help us out?

I have a few more bits and pieces of data on Erik, Beata and Elsie+James, but you probably have it already. If you don't, contact me: ove.holm@kentor.se
(Not entirely sure what info less than 100 years old I can post on a Finnish server like this one)

Finally, let's see now if I get this right: That makes you, Alexander, my great uncle's second great nephew. Lot's of greatness there :-)

Regards,
Ove