Westside

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Nu kan du välja språk i Westside - engelska/svenska!

Author Topic: Johannes Röj b. Dec 1, 1863 Paxal Malax  (Read 52272 times)

Doug_Mills

• Ny
Johannes Röj b. Dec 1, 1863 Paxal Malax
« on: April 28, 2013, 01:38:14 am »

I'm looking for any information at all on my great-grandfather Johannes Röj.
His parents were Johan Styris (later changed to Röj) born 17 Sep 1839, died 6 Sep 1932, and Anna Beata (surname unknown) born 28 Jul 1836, died 16 Jan 1890.
He had 3 sisters: Maja Bata (12 Dec 1862 - 21 Apr 1947) married August Gullman - 5 children
                          Sofia born 13 Jan 1872, died abt 1948, married Mattias Röjros - 3 children
                          Mathilda born 9 Nov 1873, died 29 Sep 1919, married Johan Isak Paxal - 5 children
He also had 1 brother, Isaac who was born about 1880 and died in New Zealand about 1940.  He never married.
I am particularly interested in Johannes' siblings, parents and grand-parents, where they lived and confirmation of these dates.
I have a handwritten notes passed down to me that says he left the parish (Malaahti) in 1883.   He turned up in New Zealand about 1886 and settled in the Wairarapa region northeast of the capital, Wellington near a small town called Pahiatua.  His naturalisation certificate is signed Johannes Röj but his anglicised (english) name was John Roy.  He married my great-grandmother Mary Elizabeth Sanders in 1903 and they had 4 children.  My maternal grandmother (Freda Roy) was born in 1907.
I would be most grateful for any information on Johannes and his family's life in Malaahti.  I am happy to share what I know about him, my mother was 10 years old when he died and she has some memories and stories of him, though not all favourable  :)

Many thanks, Doug Mills

Henrik Mangs

• Gamyl
    • Henrik Mangs Hemsida
Re: Johannes Röj b. Dec 1, 1863 Paxal Malax
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:30:12 am »

I think.
These is the right family.
MVH
Henrik Mangs

Doug_Mills

• Ny
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 09:08:33 am »

Thank you Henrik.  Do you know if there are records of the parents of Johan Styris-Röj and Anna Beata?
I have attached a photo of my great-grandfather Johannes Röj, taken about 1923 in New Zealand.

Henrik Mangs

• Gamyl
    • Henrik Mangs Hemsida
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:30:38 am »

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:14:23 am by Henrik Mangs »
MVH
Henrik Mangs

Westadmin

• Administrator
  • Flitig
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 10:11:15 am »

Anna Beata Mattsdotter Berg's parents were Matts Jacobsson Berg, b. 26.10 1809 in Malax, d. 06.05 1888 in Malax and Ulrica Mattsdotter Sten, b. 15.07 1803 in Malax, d. 11.03 1881 in Malax. They got married 24.07 1830 in Malax
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:50:42 am by Westadmin »
mvh.
Maggan Lindholm

Westadmin

• Administrator
  • Flitig
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 11:06:20 am »

It is very exciting to find out, where in the world some people from Malax ended up. I only had a notation on Johannes that he was "away since 1883". It would be really nice to get some more information about the descendants of Johannes in New Zeeland.

Doug, you have a lot of now living relatives in (and surrounding) Malax, Finland.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:18:50 am by Westadmin »
mvh.
Maggan Lindholm

Doug_Mills

• Ny
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 01:54:09 pm »

The responses have been over-whelming for me.  I live in Australia but my mother is in New Zealand and unfortunately I have to wait until tomorrow to call her (2 hour time difference) and tell her all about her "Grandfather Roy".  I have an Uncle and an Aunty who will also be very interested in this information.  A brother of my grandfathers visited Malax in the early 1960's I think and he stayed with Elvi Helen Berg and her husband Knut Tornquist but I cannot remember his name.  His surname would have been Roy, most likely Edwin Keith.

Doug_Mills

• Ny
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 03:04:52 pm »

Sorry, a small mistake.  It was a brother of my maternal grandmother that visited Malax in the early 1960's.  Attached is an earlier photo of Johannes Röj

Doug_Mills

• Ny
« Reply #8 on: Maj 04, 2013, 04:51:47 am »

The following is an extract from a book written about Finnish emigration to New Zealand, called "From the Midnight Sun to the Long White Cloud; Finns in New Zealand" by Olavi Koivukangas.

"Eketahuna, which is situated on the eastern slopes of the Tararua Range, also attracted some Finns to settle in  there.  Johannes Styris, who had been born in Malax in 1876, had arrived in New Zealand about 1897.  His parents and the rest of the children had emigrated to America in 1899 or 1900, according to the parish register.
Information from the year 1907 reveals that at the time Johannes was a wagoner in Eketahuna.  He was married to Agatha Mary McMillan.  A son, John was born in 1906.  John later became a fireman in Greymouth, married there in 1929 and had three children: Bernard Francis, Raymond John and Maureen.  Johannes Styris died in 1957 in Wanganui."

I have had some correspondence with the grandson of Johannes, Bernard (Bernie) and his wife Heather Styris.  One of their sons, Scott played cricket for New Zealand from 2000-2011. see the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Styris

"Johannes Styris had a cousin in Eketahuna.  Johannes Roy or Röij was born in Malax in 1863.  To avoid serving in the Russian Army her left for South Africa in 1884 and then for New Zealand.  As a seaman he arrived in Wellington or Petone and began working in various saw mills etc. He even had a sawmill of his own at Kakariki near Eketahuna for some time.
Johannes applied for naturalisation in 1893. At the time he was a farmer in Eketahuna.  Johannes married a New Zealand-born woman, Mary Sanders, in 1903.  They had four children: Cecil John, Edwin Keith, Ina and Freda.  The family lived on their farm on Short Road, Mangatainoka and they were quite well known in the area, maybe partly because father Johannes made excellent berry wine.  Mother Mary is said to have been a gentle sweet little lady.  Johannes died in 1948.  He did not keep contact with Finland but his grandson Don Roy spent a year in Finland in the beginning of the 1960's and has named his sons Karl-Erik and Leif.  The daughter of Johannes, Ina, was still living in Mangatainoka in 1994 in the old family house.
The brother of Johannes, Isak Roy, born in Malax in 1879, came to New Zealand possibly after spending some time in America. Isak lived with his brother for a while but they had a disagreement and never had contact with one another again.  Isak moved to Masterton and finished his working days  as a handyman in a Government camp building roads in South Westland.  In 1941 Isak died of TB (Tuberculosis) in Hokitika."

Ina Roy died around 2010 I think (I will check this information).  My Aunty Kay purchased the family home soon after and lived in it for a while (see attched photo).  My mother Jill Mills (nee Anderson), grew up on a dairy farm located on the adjacent road, Carisbrooke Road, and she remembers the passing of Grandfather Roy as he was known, in 1948.  I have fond memories of holidays at my grandparents farm, although I don't remember my grandmother, Freda Anderson (nee Roy) as she died when I was 3 years old.

Westadmin

• Administrator
  • Flitig
« Last Edit: Maj 04, 2013, 10:35:43 am by Westadmin »
mvh.
Maggan Lindholm