Westside

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Nu kan du välja språk i Westside - engelska/svenska!

Author Topic: Norrgård, Stolpe from Malax  (Read 11809 times)

Hagstrom, C.

• Ny
Norrgård, Stolpe from Malax
« on: September 10, 2008, 04:59:07 am »

Hej!
I have recently learned that my great-grandmother, Edla Sofia Johansdr Norrgård (f.1865-02-18 i Malax/d.1906-05-19 i Camden,NJ USA), had a sister Hilda Lovisa Johansdr. Norrgård (f. 1880-06-08/d.1968-02-02 i Aberdeen, WA USA) who also emigrated to America. Hilda apparently went to America twice: first time, about 25 May 1902 and then second time,about 16 Sep 1915. The second time she went with at least 2, possibly 3 of her children. Hilda Lovisa was married to a man from Malax, Alfred Isaksson Stolpe(f.1881-11-06 i Malax/d.1961-03-06 i Hoquiam, WA USA).

After coming to America, the first mention of the family that I saw (on US Fed.Census,1920) says that their family name is Mattler-- not Stolpe! I know that it is the same family because the given name, birth-dates, etc. all match what I'd already been given. Also, on this census, the older two children are shown as being born in Finland. The children's first & second given name also seem to have been switched & Americanized (for example: Torsten Olof became Thurston O.) and the father's name was now Fred Mattler, not Alfred Stolpe.

I was wondering if anyone might know or be able to find out if Hilda & Alfred were married in Malax or if any of their children were born in Finland. There were three boys listed on the probandus provided to me. Their birth-dates: Alfred Teodor Stolpe, f.1906-01-12; Helge Johannes Stolpe,f. 1907-04-13; & Torsten Olof, f.1910-02-26. The last boy may have been born in the USA. A fourth child was born in the US: a daughter, Linnea Hilda Mattler, f. 1919-10-19. None of the children appear to be still living; I am trying to trace descendants.

Also, can anyone provide an explanation for the surname change from Stolpe to Mattler? Does the name Mattler have any significance in or to Malax? Any input, ideas, or information would be most appreciated!

Mvh,
Christopher Hagstrom
New Britain, PA USA

Henrik Mangs

• Gamyl
    • Henrik Mangs Hemsida
Re: Norrgård, Stolpe from Malax
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:13:29 am »

Hej.
Hilda and Alfred was married in USA an ther oldest son Alfred Teodor was born 12/1 1906 in USA.
Helge Johannes and Torsten Olof was born in Malax.
MVH
Henrik Mangs

Hagstrom, C.

• Ny
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 04:06:14 pm »

Hej Mr. Mangs:

Thank you kindly for that information. Would you happen to have a notation in your data as to the date or place of Hilda & Alfred's marriage?

Please be in touch with anything else you may have. Tack så mycket!

Mvh,

Christopher

Westadmin

• Administrator
  • Flitig
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 06:34:34 pm »

Hello,
I suppose that the couple has lived at Mattlar farm before they went to America. The use of surnames were not very common in the countryside of Finland before about 1920. The families used the farmname instead and when they moved to another farm their surname changed, too. I see in my database that some of Alfred Stolpes now living relatives live in the Mattlar-farm area. Thereby my supposition.
mvh.
Maggan Lindholm

Henrik Mangs

• Gamyl
    • Henrik Mangs Hemsida
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 07:37:30 pm »

Hej.
Hilda and Alfred's marriage was 1905 in USA
MVH
Henrik Mangs

Hagstrom, C.

• Ny
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:30:57 pm »

Hej :

Thank you for that explanation of surname changes & for the marriage date. Someone from Finlander Forum has informed me that a "Mattlar baby" appears on a state of Minnesota(Hennepin county), USA birth index, b.12 Jan 1906/mother Hilda. This is probably first child, Theodor. There is also a reference to a marriage license from 1904. I will try to pursue these further.

Regarding Mattlar farm, is it located near Malax also? Thanks again to both of you for all your help!

Best regards,
Christopher

Westadmin

• Administrator
  • Flitig
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:15:55 am »

Mattlar farm-area is located in Yttermalax south - southeast of the the church in Malax. You can check Google maps, for instance, and search for Mattlarsvägen, Malax. If you want to see the area were I think the Norrgårds came from you should search for Bjergavägen. Google maps for Malax is very detailed.
mvh.
Maggan Lindholm

Henrik Mangs

• Gamyl
    • Henrik Mangs Hemsida
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 11:18:32 am »

Here is a picture from Google Earth
MVH
Henrik Mangs

Hagstrom, C.

• Ny
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 04:10:51 pm »

God Morgon (at least it is where I am):

Thanks Maggan & Henrik for the very precise location info. on the farm areas where my family are from in Malax.
I see by the Google Earth attachment from Henrik that these areas are actually adjacent to each other--Mattlarsvägen & Bjergavägen appear to intersect on the photo.
I will get onto the Google maps/Google Earth now for a closer look.

Tack för hjälpen! Please send along anything else you may find.

Best regards from New Britain,Pennsylvania-
Christopher